Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

dextrous and deft.

Today is Dr. Seuss' birthday. and who doesn't like a little dr. seuss in their life?

when i read this book to my preschoolers, i turned a page and i thought to myself, "hmm, this sure sounds familiar. probably because it's me."


"You can get so confused that you’ll start in to race down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space, headed, I fear, toward a most useless place.

The Waiting Place…for people just waiting.

Waiting for a train to go or a bus to come, or a plane to go or the mail to come, or the rain to go or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow or waiting around for a Yes or No or waiting for their hair to grow. Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite or waiting for wind to fly a kite or waiting around for Friday night or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil, or a Better Break or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants or a wig with curls, or Another Chance. Everyone is just waiting."

I feel like this. I've felt like this for the last two years. I think most of my friends feel this same way. It's the post-college, mid-20's, what am I doing with my life kind of place. but if you feel this way, do not despair. Dr. Seuss was wise and he knew this wouldn't last forever.

"You’ll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You’ll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life’s a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left."

So my friends, be encouraged, today is your day. It is time to get on your way!

xoxo

No comments: